Sunday, December 20, 2009

But I MEAN ...


Hello Kids !

Today we will see how emotions can get misinterpreted in 'e-world' and also learn about the ways to save ourselves before they turn fatal. So please concentrate and try relating yourself with whatever I say today and I am sure by the end of this lecture a few of you will have a very strong urge to ask a few questions, but that's not a problem with me. Even if you are an MBA student who knows what communication barrier means or an engineering student who has some idea about subjects like technical report writing.Okay Class, No talking Please & for the next minutes try reading the lines and yeah jump in between them at times.


Lesson one:

Let's take up a very small sentence, "Did I say, you stole my thunder?" and now try reading this sentence again and again by emphasizing on one word separately at a time, like this, (here the capital bold letter words are the ones you have to emphasize on.)

1. DID I say, you stole my thunder? 2. did I say you stole my thunder?, 3. did I SAY you stole my thunder? 4. did I say YOU stole my thunder?, 5. did I say you STOLE my thunder?, 6. did I say you stole MY thunder?, 7. did I say you stole my THUNDER ?.

One sentence, 7 different meanings and yeah each one of them could turn out to be fatal, depending on what the situation is and how the person at the other end reads it. At the same time it also depends on how the person at the other end WANTS to read it (now that's a perfect example itself)

I know it's very common and obvious and we all have read about 'syllable and word stressing' when we were in high school, but by the time we came to college we forgot this and by the time we made an account on twitter, we started not giving any shit about it. But the fact is, that it conveys a wrong message.When you are talking about your tooth that is paining and the person other end is enjoying something as good as "people of Pandoras or Pindaris" they just don't get what you exactly mean. So better use this 'gyaan' in those times.


Lesson two:

"I heard about your injury, I am sorry". This plane sentence sounds and well, looks way too formal, isn't it ? So what to do? we should add up a few emoticons. Now if you are on yahoo or on any other chat messenger where you have various options to choose from, then Choose any of these:

1. :( or :(( are Apt for the such a sentence.
2. :-s or :-ss are considerable.
3. :O, :-w or :| are inappropriate and hence bad.
4. :P, :D, :), :)), =)), or ;)) are suicidal.

Emotions are better than emoticons, and that's a fact.The later one is just the substitute for the former, coz you can't talk and make faces when the other person can't even see you, right ? So do use them nicely and appropriately and if you have problems memorizing the codes ..then you know who should you consult, don't you ?

Lesson three:

"OMG, WTF, just happened" Now this sentence can be written in like;

1. OMG, WTF just happened ?
2. OMG, WTF just happened !

Now it's quite possible that if you put a question mark, then are you blaming and questioning the person at the other end, when you just meant that you are shocked. But it's also possible that when you put an exclamation mark, you did actually mean to ask him about whatever happened but by mistake did not use the correct punctuation mark.So in either of the cases, you won't be happy with the answers you will get. So use punctuations properly when you realize that the topic is hot.

Lesson Four:

Once I remember, a friend of mine SMSed me about a vital project report that he had made and and had shown it to me, and I ended up texting him, "Read you project again, will talk later." because I was busy playing counter strike and 2 minutes after that I get a text;

"WTF, I made the project with so much pain and you ask me to read again...you read it again and tell me what all corrections are needed and no I am not correcting them, you will do it yourself. you are also a part of the group, don't fuck it up"

I then replied " Dude, I Read (PAST TENSE) the project again, it's nice, I am playing CS, will talk later."
and he replied, " LOL :D, okay"

So kids, you know what I mean, don't you ?. I can go on and on about it, but then I have a feeling that I have written exactly what I wanted to say, in nutshell.

Any queries ? Raise your hand and one person at a time Please.

28 comments:

  1. Okay uncle.. i think u can take over my english teacher in school... u know ur english well.
    didn't think this post was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pete,I did not get the JOKE..Am sorry.. Was rather confused mann..

    Nikhil
    www.nikhilmenon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mads...

    Ohh i do think this was necessary,with all the pure intentions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Multimenon

    dude, I don't think I cracked a joke:|

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ye mere liye tha?? atleast the joke part of it... :-s

    For the rest of it, yeah, it does get misinterpreted a lot of times, more so when one is typing in a hurry or using shortcuts... and Docomo's pay per word isn't helping any! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a teacher-ki-batto-main-taang-adaaoo student let me add 1 more thing sir..

    Sometimes we skip words in a sentence.. what should we do in that cases.. what about typos.. what about those kids who teach us english for free.. shud we believe you or them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh oh! Teacher!
    And what about the abbreviations? And T9?
    If I msg my girlfriend:
    do you want to "go out" tonight?
    it comes out as:
    do you want to "in out" tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emoticons wala example made lot of sense. Its needs lot of practice to deal matters of shock, pain with care..

    Last one Lolz...It happens..most of the times, when i sms in a hastened manner and sometimes end up sending it to someone too :)

    Good one :)
    Keep your witticism Alive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 2 questions, Sir.

    1.If something a person does not use exclamations or questions marks, we can only understand the statement as assertive, in such scenarios, shud we blame the person reading them or the person writing them?? What shud we do in such situations?

    2.Will you use/suggest emoticons from now on in your/our sentences virtually or are we left at our own discretion to understand them?? *looks on like an innocent kid*

    I found the post really interesting and informative. Just that it wud be really kind of you, if you can please answer these questions as per your convenience, Sir. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, Sir. Pehle question mein locha ho gaya...corrects it.. I mean if sometimes a person...n not something a person :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Akansha

    Yeh kisi k liye nahi tha yeh bas aisa gyaan tha jo ki sab ko pata hai par fir bhi sabko problem hoti hai !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Abhinav

    when u skip words ..and u realise it suddenly then use (*) and rewrite it with the word included or use (^) after the word which u ver supposed to write and also mention the words before and after that particular word.

    For typos again u shud use (*) and yeah take my gyaan not the gyaan other kids in the block :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Shaunak

    yeah wht about abbreviations and T9 ?
    Just Use acronyms at proper places aur kya and that "in out" was funny :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Mahesh

    Yeah not only emoticons, i guess every example made sense at least to me :)

    and SMS locha happens a lot..90% of the times :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Harshita

    Sure,

    Ans1. If you know the person very well and if you also know that the person at the other end won't pass stupid comments for a serious issue then take your understandings for granted, else blame it on the one who has written it.

    Ans2. I will try to use them appropriately when the topic is hot. Else it hardly matters how the reader takes it for the other topics. For all I know is that, if not good, then at least it won't mean something bad.It will more or less be neutral.

    thank you :) and this Post was just to remind everyone that there are times when we end up fighting over nothing :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wah! peacemaker..Am so impressed by the "Post for making peace among fighting-for-useless things-waale bloggers"!
    U sorted out things nicely.. this proves sabhi bloggers padhe-likhe types hain n with the level of doubts they hv asked-doubly impressive ;)
    Good job :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lesson One - I liked how you put it and yes in writing the words cld carry an all together diff meaning but thankfully uppercase resolves that issue :)
    Thunder example is nice.Gyaan easily registered :P

    Lesson two - lol the best part is that emoticons come to rescue when there's nothing to say but you still wanna convey how you feel about what is being talked about :P

    Lesson three - How bout >> ?!?! implies both asking and expressing shock/disapproval or surprise.Phir samne wala jo bhi samjhe! :P

    Lesson 4 - lol yeah this one happens a lot over text msgz!
    Confusion door rakhne ke liye..Hindi's preferable :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL@the last example! Quite an interesting lecture, thank you sir! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Dad.. aap na hote to hamara kya hota.. kaun batata hame ye sab gyan ki baatein

    okay now I can add :) after this and you will know I am joking.. but I don't you might think I am annoyed.. right.. so did I get the lesson correctly? 10 out of 10 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Shruti

    obvsly padhe likhe hain yaar ....tabhi toh blog likhtey hain...warna kisi aur se likhwate :P
    thnks:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Sugar cube

    Yeah !?!? is something..but i dun use it normally
    thnks for getting all the gyaan properly :) sincere student u r :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. @DRacula

    :P well yeah that one was funny even when it happened !
    thnks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Scattered thoughts

    gud gud sincere student :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like someone got really pissed with lots of misunderstandings !!! :D I agree with the emoticons part.. Actually I believe that mostly during "sad" convos, usage of any emoticons is not at all needed!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ Thoorika

    Not pissed off ..I just thought I shud clarify things :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just discovered the website who discuss about
    many
    home business opportunity

    If you want to know more here it is
    home business ideas

    ReplyDelete